sábado, 25 de octubre de 2014

My opinion about MGMT's last album self tittled "MGMT"

MGMT is my favourite band so far this month (surely next month will be another one, because I change my mind about this to many times), I love their first and second album, "Oracular Spectacular" and "Congratulations", because both of them has a psychedelic sound that reminds of bands like Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, The Beatles, 13th Elevator Room Hotel, etc. personally I think the second one is the best. But I feel kind of disappointed with the last album. It has really involving songs such as “Alien Days”, “Introspection” and “An orphan of fortune”, also I found interesting the song “I love u 2, death” which it’s more a poetry reading than a song but that’s a cool experiment and the lyrics get the point of the song.

Despite those songs, the rest of the album hasn’t got that sense of involving, the songs don’t seem to have a logical structure and the final mixture sounds very dirty. The fact of the dirty sound could be due to the psychedelic influences of this band, when you want to do psychedelic rock, you have to risk your music and experiment a little bit in order to get new sounds, even so it is very noisy and dirty.

Furthermore, it seems that they hadn’t put too much effort in this album for three reasons: Firstly the name of the album, it’s a self titled album, it doesn’t show too much originality; secondly the songs are kind of simple, to be honest are more complicated than other songs I’ve listened, and the lyrics are very cool on the line of the other albums; lastly, they put a version, it isn’t bad, doesn’t mean they are not good musicians, it just helps to prove the few effort they have put.


Appearances notwithstanding, it’s not that I don’t like the album; I do really like some songs, but it is that I’m disappointed; I hoped it would be like the first or the second. Let’s wait for the next one to be better.

5 comentarios:

  1. I'm charmed with your musical taste!

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hey, I didn't know this band, and I love pyscedelic music. They remind me of Arcade Fire too. Im watching a video now and they are incredibly young. Thank you for sharing.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. I guess you know these guys, don't you¿
    http://youtu.be/hPTpsEk5elw

    ResponderEliminar
  4. I have just realized I did know them ("Time to pretend"). Anyway, it is always good to read posts about music.
    Cheers¡

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Thanks for your comments! I didn't know that band It sounds cool I'll add it to my playlist

    ResponderEliminar